arielbissett

Ariel Bissett

Put up your hand if you like books. .. EXACTLY.

The Raven Boys
Maggie Stiefvater
Progress: 212/408 pages
The Miseducation of Cameron Post
Emily M. Danforth
Progress: 314/480 pages
The Vespertine - Saundra Mitchell I don't really have much to say about "The Vespertine". It was not outstanding, but it was not terrible, it fell somewhere in an average middle. For positives, I would point to:- the quick story: the author had a small idea and didn't drag it out, which I appreciate.- the interesting "dark side" of supernatural abilities: a lot of the time in supernatural books you see people just enjoying their powers, but the truth is that they could also get you in trouble especially in times when being labelled a witch was a legitimate offence with punishment- the use of the "flashback" set up: we start with a quick chapter with our main character in ruins and then we head into the real plot where we learn WHY she ended up in this position, and with only 3 short glimpses into the present the story felt really well balanced.For negatives,- the writing: I found the writing very difficult to read. It was confused and muddled and I would sometimes have to reread passages to actually understand what was being said- the lack of excitement: there were two moments near the very end that were mildly exciting, but overall the book did not keep me fully entertained.. I could have finished this short book a lot faster if I had been more excited about the plot- the lack of character development: although we have a solid set of characters, I never felt ANY connection to any of them and never flt that anyone progressed or improved- the not-so-impressive ending: I was underwhelmed. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't particularly good.. when I finished I didn't feel a sense of accomplishment or satisfaction.Overall, this was an average historical fiction read. I wouldn't recommend it, but I wouldn't stop you from reading it. MEH!