arielbissett

Ariel Bissett

Put up your hand if you like books. .. EXACTLY.

The Raven Boys
Maggie Stiefvater
Progress: 212/408 pages
The Miseducation of Cameron Post
Emily M. Danforth
Progress: 314/480 pages
Ruby Red - Kerstin Gier Review to come.. It's 2:42am! THIS DARNED GREAT BOOK MADE ME STAY UP SO LATE!____________Okay! So it's the 27th now, and I'm ready to write my review. The first thing that should be apparent is that I loved this book. I gave it 5/5 stars, and it kept me up into the ridiculous hours of the night on both of the days that I read it. I recommend it to all!Now, let's break it up.Firstly, plot. One of the main reasons I loved this book was because it was constantly exciting. The plot kept up at a great pace and it NEVER lulled. I never found myself thinking "I wish this would speed up!" Obviously, because this is the first book, there is a fair bit of information dropping to set up the whole world concept, but the author did this in entertaining ways by weaving it into conversations and other moments. Also, the whole concept of this world is so cool that I didn't mind slowing down for a while to know more about it! Plot gets top marks for constantly keeping me intrigued! Also, I need to add, that this book was at times HILARIOUS. Like, I have honestly not laughed out loud at a book for what feels like a year and this book had me bursting out at laughter, with tears in my eyes, like five times!Secondly, characters. I love characters in books. They are the vessel through which the plot and world impact us. You can have a fantastic world but terrible characters and the book will be ruined. I was so lucky in this book that not only did I have a thrilling plot, but I also sad home of the best characters I've read in a while! One of the reasons that I don't like supernatural books, and this does have some supernaturalish aspects, is because the characters are usually so fake. They are in the world for maybe 2 days and BAM! They totally get it, fear nothing, understand all. Not here though! The main character grows up around this world, but she's never really in the know about it. And when she IS thrust into it she reacts in exactly the same way I would actually believe a person to act! She's scared, and frustrated, and excited! She acts kind of "dorky" about it, because it's so new to her! I thought it was so refreshing to have a character that admits that she doesn't understand her surroundings but that she's willing to give it a shot! She also had some really great moments where she took chances and was brave, and I really liked it. The other characters, although less developed, were also great. Her mother has a big role, which I love in YA novels because parents do exist! She also has a best friend who I really really loved. She isn't in on this time travelling world, but helps the main character as much as she can! They spend a lot of time looking things up on Google which I truly appreciated (how many times has a character in a book been confused and you know it could all be solved if they just went to the internet?!) and she's supportive, like telling Gwenyth to tell her mom about her situation and making sure that Gwenyth is okay. Overall, characters were fantastic!Finally, I want to talk about theme. Because honestly, there wasn't one. I think themes and lessons are important in books, and a lot of the time, if they aren't there, I don't want to give a book 5/5 stars because it's missing such an important aspect. However, in this book, it just didn't need it. There are obviously some small ideas, being brave and taking chances, but that was okay. I enjoyed this book for the thrill ride that it was! It was an honest, exciting, fun book that kept me up until way past when I should have been asleep.Translation Note: This is the first book I've read where I knew that it was translated. (I have probably read other books that are translated but I didn't know that while reading!) While I was reading I kept it in the back of my mind, but honestly, I didn't really notice anything! There were a couple times, admittedly, where some words were a bit too highbrow to seem natural, as if I doubted that the author had actually chosen THAT stuffy word and that the translator had not been able to find an easier translation and had had to use the "proper" word. Like, there was a moment when someone asked something mundane and the person answered "My day was outstanding!" .. it just didn't feel natural. However, this only happened like four times and it was never distracting or unsettling. It was just a thing.I LIKED THIS BOOK. IT WAS GREAT. I RECOMMEND YOU PICK IT UP! I'll be getting my hands on the second book, Sapphire Blue, as soon as possible, and I hope it lives up to Ruby Red!