arielbissett

Ariel Bissett

Put up your hand if you like books. .. EXACTLY.

The Raven Boys
Maggie Stiefvater
Progress: 212/408 pages
The Miseducation of Cameron Post
Emily M. Danforth
Progress: 314/480 pages
Please Ignore Vera Dietz - A.S. King Well! Another shining read from A.S. King! This has really solidified her as one of my new favourite authors and I definitely look forward to reading more of her books. As you can tell, however, I gave this a 4.4 rating instead of the 5/5 rating I gave Everybody Sees the Ants.. here's why I loved this and didn't!First off, let's talk about some of the things I loved. Mainly, the writing. A.S. King's way of turning a phrase, the way she shares the things that are going inside of her characters heads is so raw and gritty and real. It makes me feel like her characters are real people - like her books are memoirs instead of fiction. I love feeling this because it makes me root for the characters, makes me hope that their lives turn out how they want them to turn out. I also love the structure of this book: it's written in tiny chapters, the longest ones being maybe 6 pages, which was cool because I felt like I kept getting new glimpses into the characters minds. They were written from different characters perspectives, although probably 90% are from Vera, but that added a great effect of knowing more than just her thoughts, and also we get some cool perspectives.. including wise inanimate objects and her dead best friend (which I LOVED LOVED).Now, I didn't love this book as much as Everybody Sees the Ants. Why? Because I felt that Vera was not as well developed.. I didn't understand her actions, and most of the time I down-right didn't like her. I loved Lucky, the main character of Everybody Sees the Ants. I wanted to protect him. But with Vera, a lot of the time I wanted to just shove her for not clicking in, for acting so stupidly. Don't misunderstand me - I'm not saying that I need to like a character or like their actions to appreciate them! (Look at the Great Gatsby! I gave that book 5/5 and NONE of the characters there were likable!) My problem is not understanding Vera's decisions. I understood why Daisy gave up on Gatsby even though I hated her for it.. I understood and therefore could appreciate her. But for Vera I didn't understand why she made such foolish decisions, why she didn't take charge, why she hated everyone so much.. and for me, I want to understand the characters so that I can understand their transformations.Overall, I really did like this book a lot. A.S. King has definitely delivered, and I would highly recommend this book to everyone.. especially people who are searching for something along the lines of The Perks of Being a Wallflower or Looking for Alaska.. that raw contemporary feel. Although, admittedly, I'd recommend Everybody Sees the Ants more.