arielbissett

Ariel Bissett

Put up your hand if you like books. .. EXACTLY.

The Raven Boys
Maggie Stiefvater
Progress: 212/408 pages
The Miseducation of Cameron Post
Emily M. Danforth
Progress: 314/480 pages
Looking for Alaska - John Green Well, I finished this book this morning, and let me just say it was excellent.Everyone says it because it's true. This is a pure and thought-provoking book.This review cannot be without spoilers, so if you haven't read this book or don't want to be spoiled, don't continue. Basically, just read this book.The book follows Miles, a slightly disconnected teenager, who has just moved to a boarding school. He befriends his roommate and his roommate's friends. One of these friends is Alaska, and he quickly falls in love with her. And then, she dies.I can honestly say I did not see this coming. The truth is, I have not read any books that deal with death and the way that others respond to it. The characters were wonderful. Miles was usually intelligent and very relatable. Pudge, his roommate, sounded like a friend I would want to have. He was super smart and had lots of fortitude. Takumi, in the end, was a beautiful character and I really wanted to know more about him. Lara was also great. I've known some exchange students, and she really portrayed one well. You can tell that exchange students are intelligent, but with their accents and simply worded sentences they seem adorable and lovely as well. Finally, Alaska. She was simply beautiful. In the trashiest way. She was one of the most mysterious characters I have ever read about. Near the end of the book, I realized we barely know anything about her. And yet I mourned her loss alongside with Miles.I think that this is the most "deep" YA novel I have ever read. It was wonderfully written, and John Green's use of last words was intriguing and interesting. The way that the book was split, with "before" and "after" really showed what a big event Alaska's death was. I'm really glad that John Green also put some comedy into this book through all of the pranks though, because otherwise it would have been extremely depressing. I'm also glad we never found out if it was suicide or an accident. It seemed right not to know.It is actually difficult to explain the impact this book had on me. It really made me think about others and the power of death and life. I recommend this book to everyone.